Friday, January 20, 2012

Winter is finally here

Winter has finally come to Northern Indiana. It has snowed albeit lightly for the last 2 days. The lake has frozen but not sure it is strong enough to skate on yet. Madison has been asking to skate since October & Elle started in November. Didn't think I'd ever be able to tell them the lake was frozen. We'll see how long it'll stay frozen since 40 degree weather is supposed to be back next week. The Junco's have finally come in. Wasn't sure they would ever show up. They're about 2 months late. Don't know if that means we're going to have a short winter or if it'll be snowing in May. I'm wondering if it's going to be a short winter since I've seen geese flying north. I believe the animals & birds can tell us a lot about the weather. I keep a list of bird sightings every year so I can compare when I've first seen the species at the feeders that year. I can go back & compare year to year & that's how I know that the junco's are late this year. I also keep a baby count. Don't think we had as many goslings & ducklings this year. We did however had a large family of Martins. They kicked most of the sparrows out of their house & filled it up. I'm hoping they all return this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment