Friday, November 11, 2011

1st snow

Today was the first snow of the season in Michiana. While I saw flakes floating past the picture window, nothing stuck to the ground here. Sounded like South Bend got a coating. I need to feed the birds & get suet out now that the weather is turning colder. We've had some new migrating birds arrive. Have never seen Black Scoters before but they were on the lake yesterday. Thanks to National Geographic's Bird ID app for helping me identify them. The Buffleheads were here today. They are about a month late. Not sure what that means weather wise. The geese are long gone which doesn't make the hunters very happy I'm sure. Haven't seen much of our ducks lately but the hunters are out so I'm sure they are laying low. Lots of Coots feeding off the seaweed in front of our house. They'll be around until the lake freezes. Saw a Common Loon swimming past today. Wish I had heard its call. I just love it.

The leaves are down from the trees & I'm surprised to see a squirrels nest in one of the trees in the front yard. Usually they are in the trees on the back lot. It'll be fun to watch it this winter to see squirrels going in & out. Love having a picture window facing the water so we can see all these critters & ducks from the comfort of the couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment