Monday, November 14, 2011

World Diabetes Day

Today is World Diabetes Day. I've had diabetes since 2003. I've learned a lot since that time. I've learned that contrary to popular belief sugar won't killed you. In fact I have had my A1C go down after eating 2# of Jelly Bellies & my last A1C which hit my target A1C was after eating salt water taffy. Carbs seem to raise my blood sugar more than candy so I have to limit my pasta intake. And I love pasta. Chocolate is my friend, it will actually lower my blood sugar. My new BFF though is Vitamin D. Since I started taking it my A1C has steadily come down.

My family seems more concerned about my diabetes than I am. I know what I have to do & I don't let it control my life. I still do all the activities I enjoy just with a bigger bag to carry all the paraphernalia I need, testing kit, insulin, pen needles & oral meds if I'm going to be out during a meal, a snack in case of low blood sugar. My mom is always freaking out since her dad died from complications & her grandfather lost a limb to the disease. I listen to my body & if I suspect there is a problem I take measures to combat the problem.

I have diabetes but I don't let it control my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment